This winter season warm up from the inside out with this flavorful Thai Curry Carrot Lentil Soup from our chef at Al Nakhla Residential Resort, Riyadh. A filling soup recipe to enjoy for lunch or dinner with plenty of plant-based protein and a full serving of veggies!
- 5 tbsp avocado oil, or other high heat cooking oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 ginger root (half the size of the palm)
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (15 oz)
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, remove the tough outer leaves and use the tender inside part
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1.5 cups lentils
- Optional serving suggestions: brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice, avocado, cilantro, coconut/greek yogurt, toasted coconut
- Sauté ginger and onion in the avocado oil over medium heat until onions are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the spices and curry paste to the pot and continue to cook for another 5 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add carrots to the pot along with the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Add the lemongrass. Season with another pinch of salt.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the carrots are soft, about 15 min. While the soup simmers cook the lentils according to the directions.
- Once the carrots are soft, transfer the soup to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender.
- Transfer the blended soup back to pot and add in the coconut aminos, vinegar, lime juice and fish sauce (if using). Add the lentils and cook on low for another 5 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa or cauliflower rice, avocado, cilantro, coconut/greek yogurt, toasted coconut.